With all that is about to happen–the imminent Walker recall, a Supreme Court decision re: the Affordable Care Act, how frustrating is our moment? More important, how crazy will the coming months be?
I find myself with agonizingly simple questions and, far more agonizing, no-answer answers.
How come . . .
- when oil prices were rising, media coverage was all over the non-story? If the president gets the blame for rising prices, how come he doesn’t receive credit for lower costs at the pump?
- none of the CEOs of the big banks or the investment houses are serving time in jail? Or, at least, on trial?
- Romney keeps quoting Reagan when it is convenient and no one questions the inconsistencies? Doesn’t he know that Reagan expanded Social Security in ’83, increased taxes on the wealthiest Americans, and oversaw the largest expansion of Medicare?
- Romney now says the GOP leader should be in the same mold as Ronald Reagan when he is known to have boasted that he was not trying to return to Reagan-Bush?
- Romney has said that unions are fine examples of participatory democracy and joining a union is one of the most essential human rights and collective bargaining plays a major role in America’s economic miracle but he now hob-nobs with Walker, Koch and their ilk?
- Romney has supported, in the past, penalties for states that do not meet clean water standards?
- Romney doesn’t know that Reagan raised taxes numerous times after his initial tax cut and signed eighteen increases of the federal debt limit?
- Romney is against the Buffet Rule, when Reagan stated that bus drivers should not pay a higher rate of taxes than millionaires?
- Romney doesn’t recall that Reagan criticized Republicans for being conservative radicals who refused to compromise?
- Romney’s moral compass does not recognize that most Americans are hurting and that there is a need to level the playing field for all of us?
- Exxon is pouring money into a campaign to persuade Americans that global warming is a myth?
- chemical companies refuse to accept responsibility for the destruction and loss of life caused by their actions and pharmaceutical companies are allowed to charge full price for drugs for Medicare recipients?
- higher unemployment and greater productivity are acceptable bi-products of corporate greed?
- corporations don’t understand that regulations come about only as reactions to a free market that has often gone astray?
- the six Walmart heirs have a combined wealth of $90 billion, the equivalent of the wealth of the bottom thirty percent of all Americans?
- all the years of trickle down economic theory still apply when there is evidence that it does not work?
- Romney is buddy-buddy with Donald Trump when George Will, a respected conservative, recognizes that Trump is a bloviating ignoramus and yet the media continues to feed his ego and give him air time he does not deserve?